Saturday, August 21, 2021

Words to Live By

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche


"Thinking is difficult. That's why most people judge."

-- Carl Jung


The only point I'd make is that adults are just as corruptible as youth with respect to alike-vs.-different thinking. Beyond that, though, I don't have much to add regarding these quotes.

I have to reread these quotes constantly so that I don't fall prey to either shortcoming. It can be a harder road to travel (avoiding echo chambers and not falling into judgment) and takes a lot of continual practice, but it's so worth it. I'm not perfect, though. It still happens (especially the judgment one) and I need to acknowledge it when it happens, cut it off right then and there, and learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Trade-Off of Training in Smoke

Sadly, for those of you living in NorCal with me, having to deal with smoke in the air (at pretty high AQI levels at times, and moderate lev...